April 10, 2010

CVS and Walgreens Trip 4/9

I feel bad posting my trips when the deals are over but I usually go deal shopping on Friday nights. If you are just learning it might be helpful to see examples. I made at least one mistake that you can learn from! Here's what I got:
CVS
1 Colgate Total $2.99 -$1 Colgate MC (All You)- $2 ECB= FREE
1 Skintimate Shaving Cream $3.99 -$3=$.99
3 Pantene Nature Fusion $2.99 -$2 x 3 Pantene MC from a Vocalpoint mailer -$3ECB=FREE
3 Stride gum $.99 -$.99 from Buy 2 Get 1 free Stride coupon -$.99 ECB=$.99 for 3

-$.50 ECB--first quarter ECB... I love it when they are so low!
-$9.99 in ECBs
FINAL TOTAL=$1.45 including tax PLUS I got $8.99 in ECBs back

WALGREENS
1 Cottonelle 12 pk toilet paper $5 -$1 Wags Apr Coupon -$1 MC= $3
1 Kotex U tampons $3.49 -$1 MC (should have been free -$2.50RR--see below)
4 Velveeta cups $1 each -BOGO x2 and $1.50RR= $.50 for 4
6 Garnier Fructis shampoo, conditioner, hairspray $20 - $1 MC x4 and $10RR=$1 each
3 Kraft Mac and Cheese $.69 each (with weekly store coupon)
1 Dawn $.99 (with weekly store coupon) -$.50 MC=$.49
3 Pilot gel pens/highlighters $1.19 each -$1 Wags Apr Coupon x3=$.19 each
plus will get a $4.50 rebate from back of package
4 Lindsay olives $.99 each (with weekly store coupon) -$1/2 MC x2= $.49 each
4 Mars candy bars $.39 (with weekly store coupon) - Buy 2 Get 1 Free=$.22 each (see below*)
FINAL TOTAL= $12.53 and I got back $11.5o in RRs plus the $4.50 rebate


*I just wanted to point something out. At Walgreens (and some other stores) the order in which you give the cashier your coupons makes a difference. At Walgreens give them in the following order:
1st Manufacturer coupons
2nd Walgreens weekly then monthly
3rd Register Rewards

For the candy bar B2G1 coupon this worked in my favor. By giving the B2G1 coupon first it took the regular price off for the "fill in the blank" amount ($.69 off in this case) even though with the Walgreens weekly coupon the price was actually only 39 cents.

I paid a "stupid tax" on this transaction by breaking a critical Walgreens rule. I used a RR from the Kotex U deal I did last week to pay again when I bought a second package this week. When you do this the "new" RR doesn't print out. So I lost a $2.50 RR. Ugh. Learn from my mistake and don't roll RRs on the same deal!

I could have lowered my OOP (out of pocket) costs by doing more than one transaction but 1) I'm lazy, 2) trying to do all that math hurts my brain, and 3) I already feel like I'm pushing my luck most times at Walgreens. :)

6 comments:

Vivian said...

I almost can't take seeing or hearing about all of the great deals this week - I wanted to get to this b/c it sounded like a bunch of stuff I was interested in but my week was unbelievably super busy and I've barely stayed on top of it!!!!! Bummer and super bummer!!!!!! Glad everyone got some good deals though!

ericah78 said...

Nice job Shelly! I always get mad at myself when I make mistakes like that too. We need to remember that even w/ those little errors we're still saving lots of money and shouldn't be so hard on ourselves. :-)

Jill said...

I bought the valveeta shells but no 1.50 RR. It wasn't advertised at my store...do not all the Walgreen's stores have the same RR sometimes? (The register also ran out of coupon tape and they had to re-ring my toothbrushes to get the RR so maybe I should have had them re-ring valveeta too?) It was a rush though getting the free toothbrushes and tampons. I can't wait to see what you guys think are the good deals for this week so I can spend my RR :)

Shelly said...

Jill did you buy 4 Velveetas? To get the RR you had to buy 4 to get the RRs.

The deal is going on all month so if you can find another 2 BOGO coupons (have your mom print them) you can do the deal again. To print two of the same coupon hit the back button on your browser after the first one prints.

Wendy Jung said...

How did you get more Lisday olive coupons to print? I tried to do it again and it hasn't been reset for me.

Shelly said...

Wendy, I never used them at CVS so I still had them. I only printed two that one time. I had hoped they would reset but they didn't.