June 5, 2008

My Talk with Walgreen District Manager

Last Friday, I asked the manager at the Walgreens (GV) for a copy of their coupon policy. He was not too happy about that request and after a staring contest, told me to call corporate. So I did. I spoke with the district manager. I told her I was more than happy to follow their rules and policies but I would like to know what they are. It is very frustrating to have them change week to week, store to store, manager to manager, cashier to cashier.

ANSWER: Walgreens does not make their corporate policies public. If you are having problems it is a training issue and you should call corporate to complain.

(Shelly says: That doesn't help when you are standing in the store!)

NEXT QUESTION: What is the proper way to use a $10 off $30 Walgreens coupon?

ANSWER: Official policy is you have to spend $30 AFTER coupons to save the $10. All GB area managers will be reminded of this at an upcoming meeting.

(Shelly says: So you have to spend $40...or whatever...to save $10 off your $30...that isn't a good deal!)

NEXT QUESTION: Can you use man. coupon when buying an item you are going to earn RRs on? (I haven't run across this one yet but I guess some cashiers are saying if you use a man. coupon then the RR won't print.)

ANSWER: Yes, but you can't "roll" RR's on the same product.

NEXT QUESTION: Use more than one RR to pay?

ANSWER: No. Must separate the transactions and total must exceed the RR after coupons..

(Shelly says: What a time saver for both me and the cashier! Ha! I think I might have to stop shopping at Walgreens.)

NEXT QUESTION: Coupon for $1 off item that is on sale for 75 cents. Adjust or not?

ANSWER: Yes, they should adjust. Some internet printed coupons cannot be adjusted. Manager may have to call company.

(Shelly says: Don't shop with your kids...it may take awhile!)

NEXT QUESTION: Do you take internet printed coupons? Can they be in B&W?

ANSWER: Yes, unless a warning was issued that a particular coupons was fraudulent. They can be in color or B&W.

I find it very hard to believe a LARGE, NATIONAL company such as Walgreens doesn't have a WRITTEN coupon policy available for customers to reference (if not on their website at least when you request it). I think confusion is part of their strategy. The D.M. told me she thought there were just too many coupons out there making it too complicated. She was longing for the good ol' days of just man. coupons. This conversation was all well and good, but I STILL have no proof to "educate" the cashiers/managers on these policies unless I have something in WRITING. Now if I have an issue and I know the cashier is wrong, the only thing I can do is call corporate when I get home. With my luck...should I put them on speed dial or what?

1 comment:

Nora said...

It seems like you had the same run in with walgreens as I had with Jo Anns Fabrics. They make it seem like your going to get such a good deal and then it doesnt show up on the register or they wont give you that deal because its not the right coupon or the right product and so on and so forth. Funny that such a huge cooperation doesnt have polies of all kinds.