July 5, 2011

Cheap and Green Clean: All Purpose Cleaner

For those of you who don't know me... I can be a little bit of clean freak, but I don't like to spend a lot on cleaning products. Well, except for Magic Erasers. With five messy little boys in the house, I've found those things to be worth every penny!

A couple years ago when I was looking for a kid-friendly cleaner for my children to clean with, I came across this frugal recipe. We have been using it ever since and I am very pleased with the results. It's basically an all-purpose cleaner (similar to Formula 409). I have used it on just about everything. [Disclaimer: I do not have stainless steel appliances or granite counter tops so I'm not sure how it'd work on those.]


All Purpose Cleaner Recipe:
2 T. white vinegar
1 T. Borax
2 T. Dawn dish soap
1 cup hot water, plus water to fill rest of container
Triggered Spray Bottle (got ours at the Dollar Tree)

Mix vinegar, borax and hot water in spray bottle. Fill bottle almost to the top with water. Then add Dawn dish soap. Gently rotate the bottle to mix. If you shake it you'll make lots of suds!

If you're not cleaning a really dirty or greasy surface, I've found that you can dilute this even a little bit further. I usually make a double batch in a recycled 64 oz. plastic juice container and it still works great. I just refilled the spray bottle as needed. Although the ingredients are all non-toxic, I did mark the spray bottle with the ingredients just in case.

No comments: